Tuesday, February 15, 2011

So...Worth It

Sometimes being a parent is hard.
Ok, most of the time being a parent is hard.

It's not so much the day-to-day responsibilities and duties of parenthood, or the discipline, (which, by the way, is in fact incredibly hard) but the making decisions on the what-to-do's and how-to-do's while honestly and truly keeping your child's best interest at heart and letting go of expectations, control, or a personal agenda.

I have a neighbor that I have always been impressed with in so many ways. One of them is how well she knows and understands her children and how she approaches motherhood prayerfully, always letting the Spirit guide her. She seems to always do what's best for her children regardless of what's popular. I admire this about her. I want to be more like this.

It is easy for me to feel overwhelmed with the responsibilities of motherhood. Husband & I once had a conversation in which I asked him how many things, at any given point in a day, are on his To-Do list. I guessed his answer was one - to do whatever I ask him to do*. His sheepish grin gave away my accuracy. I explained that at any given point of any given day I have at least 50 things in my mind of things I need to do. These things range from emptying the dishwasher and doing the laundry, to making sure our children grow up to be respectable and responsible human beings. Now you can understand why this could be overwhelming.

There's a heavy responsibility that comes along with being a parent. Sometimes it feels like more than I can handle. I want more than anything to be the mom my kids need and deserve. I pray everyday to help them reach their potential. I pray to help build their confidence and to be sensitive to their needs. I am grateful to have an amazing partnership with Husband and to know that we're in this together. I am grateful to know that the Lord will help us, through the guidance of the Spirit, in teaching and raising these children. We are not alone in this overwhelming task in raising God's children.

Sometimes being a parent is hard, but I've found that the hardest things are the most worth it.
And with the Lord, all things are possible.

*this conversation happened years ago and I am proud to say that these days Husband takes much more initiative - probably more than I do :0)



So...you may also like:
::So...Figuring It Out and i still am.
::So...Prayer and Parenthood one of my favorites.
::So...Wimbledon Here I Come i have cat-like reflexes.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: