Sunday, October 11, 2009

So...prayer and parenthood

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
I know who I am.
I know God's plan.
I'll follow Him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I'll honor his name.
I'll do what is right.
I'll follow His light.
His truth I will proclaim.

Whenever I think about my testimony, this Primary song comes to mind. It explains very clearly and very simply how I feel about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I had a conversation with my dad this past weekend about parenthood. We talked about inspiration and personal revelation regarding parenthood. It was exactly what I needed.

All of us are children of Heavenly Father. He knows each of us, probably better than we know ourselves. He knows our children and what they need. He knows what we can give them and can help us give a little more. As a parent, I have the right and the responsibility to seek guidance, through prayer, from Heavenly Father who knows me and knows what my children need. He can help me realize what I can to do to love, teach, nurture, and care for my children.

There is no greater resource as a parent than prayer.

My faith in Christ and my testimony of His gospel strengthens me as a parent. It gives me hope. It helps me understand my role and purpose as a mother, wife, and daughter of God. It helps me know how and what to teach my children. It protects me and my family from the uncertainties of the world. It helps keep me grounded. It brings me joy.

I love this gospel and everything it brings into my life and into my family.