Wednesday, January 9, 2013

So...Pinworthy::Cleaning the Dishwasher

I have a board on pinterest called "to do" filled with all sorts of things that I actually want to try, not just collect for safe keeping like most of the other things I pin.

Today I decided to try one of them::

How to Clean Your Dishwasher

My dishwasher is old and kind of nasty.
When I saw this pin floating around, I was excited to snag it and try it out myself.
If anything, it was the motivation I needed to tackled that nasty job of scrubbing my yucky dishwasher - which, by the way, one would want to keep clean since it's supposed to be cleaning one's dishes once or twice a day...
Did I mention it was nasty?

So today was the day.
Immediately after I emptied the dishes (and before it was piled full again, like it usually is) I pulled up my pin and followed the instructions. 

First, the white vinegar. 
This was supposed to clean off all the grease and build up on the inside of the dishwasher.
I don't know if mine was just too old and too dirty, but I was not really impressed with the results.
I ended up scrubbing the inside with soft scrub and a coarse sponge, which seemed to do the job nicely.
I scrubbed the inside of the door and the bottom, underneath the rack.
I poured clean water onto it to clean off the excess soft scrub.
Like I said, if anything the pin got me motivated to actually get in there and clean.

I then followed the next step.  The baking soda.
This definitely freshened up the inside of the washer and finished the job.

Now, mine doesn't look as sparkling clean and new like the one on the pin, but for how old, nasty, and dingy mine was before, it looks pretty good.  If I had put a little thought into this impromptu project I would have had some before pictures to show you, but I don't.
Trust me, it's probably better for everyone that I don't...

The original post also had some great tips for making your dishwasher run more effectively and for keeping it clean.  Definitely some things I want to try.

It feels so nice to have a clean dishwasher.
Let's just be honest...it feels so nice to have a clean anything.



So...you may also like::
::So...My Day Job its a work in progress :)
::So...The Move from our first home sweet home.
::So...Keeping Myself Busy i heart home projects.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

It grosses me out how dirty dishwashers get and how unmotivated I am to clean them. How can something you run soap and hot water through everyday be dirty!? Good work :)