Wednesday, May 16, 2012

So...The Anatomy of Peace


Right now I'm reading The Anatomy of Peace by the Arbinger Institute.
It's a good read.

The book talks about boxes - boxes we put ourselves in, boxes we put others in, boxes we carry around with us - that cause us to view people as objects rather than people.

I hope I view my children as people.
I know that sounds silly, but read the book and you'll know what I mean.

I hope I don't view them as objects that get in my way, stress me out, or keep me from doing things I want to do.  It would be terrible to feel like your mother saw you as an object rather than a person.

Sometimes I have those feelings - I'm definitely not a perfect mother or person - but I'm constantly trying to understand how my kids are experiencing the world, especially our interactions with each other.  I try to remember what it was like to be a kid.  I try to see things the way they might, and then try to explain things in a way that would make sense to them.

Again, I am definitely not perfect at this, but I'm working at it and learning a lot.
This book is great.
I'm sure it will be one that I will return to over the years.


1 comment:

Autumn said...

My Mom gave me that book to read and I gave it back without reading it. I should've read it. Thanks for telling me what it's about.