Tuesday, September 14, 2010

So...to get you started

I have had quite a few people ask me about how I trained for a half marathon. Most people want to know how much I ran before I trained, if I had ever run races before, and usually add a comment like, "Well, I could never do that" or "I'm not a runner like you." This always makes me laugh. The truth is, until I started training for my first 5k in 2007, I was not a runner either. In fact, I used to hate to run, just for the sake of running. I avoided it at all cost.

Running has definitely been an aquired taste for me.
But I can honestly say that now I love to run.
And I firmly believe that anyone can learn to love to run.
If you want to.

Whenever I am trying to get back into shape (usually after having a child) I need some sort of schedule to keep me focused and motivated. I am definitely motivated by daily tasks that are already predetermined for me. Makes things so much easier for me. And it makes me feel like I don't have a choice in the matter.

If you are interested in running as a way of getting back into shape, here is a basic 5k training schedule to get you started. This schedule will work for you if you've never run before, or if you are very out of shape and want a starting point. If you can't run 1.5 miles yet, take a couple extra weeks to build up to 1.5 before starting this schedule.

But believe me when I say - the most difficult thing about running long distances is the mental game. If you can figure out a way to forget about the distance while you're running, you might surprise yourself how far you actually can go.

Photobucket This schedule was slightly modified from a training schedule found here.

Note: REST does not mean "lay on the couch and stuff your face with junk food while watching hours of TV." Rest just means "don't run." The key to training for a race and building endurance is not to burn yourself out. Even if you feel like you can run 5 miles the first day, keep yourself on the schedule so you have enough steam for your next run (and to avoid injury). On REST days you could walk, strength train, bike, swim, etc.

I always rest completely on Sundays.

The most important thing to remember when committing to a workout plan, is to make a plan that works for you and helps you accomplish your goals.
And then stick to it.
You will never regret sticking to your plan.

No comments: