Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So...the headache

On September 13, at around 2:00 pm, I got the headache.
The caffeine headache.
Until now I always thought such a headache was a myth. OR, that if it did exist, I would be immuned if I ever decided to kick my caffeine habit. Since that's all it was. A habit. Not an addiction or a reliance.

Oh, how I was wrong.

For the past 10 days that I have not been drinking soda, I have felt great. Absolutely great. I feel happier, I feel more balanced, I feel more motivated, I feel more connected with my family, my mind is clearer, and I am sleeping better. The only downside has been this blasted headache.

Every day at around 2:00 pm (note: it is 2:16 as we "speak") the headache hits. It's a dull, subtle headache, that gradually grows in intensity until I go to bed. The first few days it was no big deal. Now, it's still no big deal, but it is driving me crazy. C'mon already, leave me alone!

I have been resisting taking advil or other meds to relieve my caffeine headache. The way I see it, if I'm going to rely on meds to relieve my caffeine headache, I might as well be relying on caffeine to relieve my caffeine headache. Perhaps I'm being stubborn, but to me that makes sense. And I've been holding strong.

Until today.

10 days is a long time to have a headache.
I fear it may be affecting my children.
I took advil today.
We'll see if it helps.
I will try again tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds nuts, but you may want to try Excedrin migraine. It has caffeine it. So, you won't be drinking it but it will help the headache. Then you can spread those out and wean yourself off those. Just a thought. I have no willpower when it comes to soft drinks. The first step is admitting you have a problem- or so I am told :)

MommyMert said...

OUCH! I have had those headaches. Boo. Hopefully it ends soon.

Anonymous said...

I know ALL about the caffeine headache. And I understand your no meds or else why not just drink some caffeine mentality. Good work!!