Thursday, March 4, 2010

So...remedies

Seems like I'm not alone when I say I've been in a bit of a funk for the past few months. Winter can seem long and many days being home with young kids can make this mom a little crazy. When I say crazy, I mean crazy - creating all sorts of drama about things that aren't really that important, complaining about this and that, wishing I was better at this, frustrated that I haven't improved on that, and thinking silly thoughts about being lame and good for nothing. Seriously though, the only thing that is lame is me like this.

So...

I've been thinking and realizing lately how DONE I am with being crazy and wasting my time thinking crazy thoughts. Here is a little plan that I've put together to help me get out of this funky feeling I get every so often.

1.) Thankful Journal - started mine today. Anytime I'm feeling frustrated, down, sad, lazy, unmotivated, etc. I will open this book and start writing all the things that I am thankful for and only the things I am thankful for. No more venting all the negativity. I have learned this does no good for me.

I'm also trying to take the time to write down any feelings of gratitude I have whenever I have them. I have a feeling a book full of thankful thoughts will become medicine for my soul during those times I'm not feeling so thankful.

2.) Love List - full of the names of people that I love, or that may be in need of feeling loved. My plan is to turn to this list when I'm feeling a bit selfish, self-centered, and yucky, and pick someone that I can show some love to. It could be a phone call, a letter of encouragement, a prayer, anything. The point is to forget about my "woes" and focus on the wonderful people in my life.

I think I waste a lot of time thinking about how to make myself better, or make myself happier, when the reality is I would be happier if I looked outside myself I tried to make others happy. Especially within my own family. Love and service are key to happiness.

3.) Remember Something TRUE - I loved this advice from Husband's (Hungry) Aunt. She commented on a post of mine a while back that when she is struggling with negative thoughts, she tries to think of an absolute truth that she knows and holds on to that. It could be a scripture, a hymn, the YW theme - something uplifting, and true. I love this.

I am easily confused and flustered by the high-speed traffic of thoughts in my head throughout the day. I'm constantly making to-do lists, assessing my life, analyzing everything, trying to make things better, and making plans and schedules to accomplish all the goals, hopes, and dreams I have. I can very easily get lost in it all and lose sight of what is most important. I am a classic example of focusing on things that are good, and sometimes forgetting the things that are better, or even best. And then I find myself overwhelmed, unsure, and insecure. I often feel like I need that iron rod, that truth, to pull me back to reality.

So that's the plan.
So far these three things have already made a difference for me.
Even still, the best remedy sometimes for feeling a bit funky is a good long cry. Then I can wake up the next morning to a new day, and everything feels a bit more hopeful.
But when crying doesn't seem like an option (seriously now, I can't cry all day everyday) these three things sure do help.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Thanks, Meg. I've had moments lately where I have felt the same. I should take your advice.

Speaking of "funk," I am craving some non-virtual friend time. Wanna get together?? A craft night or a movie night, maybe? Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Hola


You will not believe what I just found! [url=http://www.foolioo.com]Foolioo.com[/url] makes [url=http://www.foolioo.com]free[/url] custom website for free. Yep! That's right, FREE!
Never imagined it'd be so easy to get a free website and I really had to tell you guys.



So if you're looking for a free website, give these guys a try.



Peace