Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Write Away: New Year

January, in all of its resolution-making glory, is one of my favorite times of the year. Simply because I feel like I can do anything as I commit to all of the things I may or may not have accomplished the year before. It is one of the few times I year that I actually feel "on top" of it all. I love making lists and New Years Resolutions is, of course, the list of the year.

Twenty ten, the second decade of the millennium, ten whole years after Y2K, feels like it will be a year to remember. I can feel change in the wind and am hoping for good things to come my way.

At the turn of the century, back when there was talk about the end of the world, I remember thinking seconds before the clock struck twelve, “Crap. If the world is ending now, I’m in big trouble.” I am proud and relieved to say that I had the opposite feeling this year watching the ball drop at the turn of the decade. I couldn’t help but think how far I have come and how far I still want to go. I am full of hope. I am full of excitement. I am full of anticipation and I couldn’t wait to jump right into 2010.

This year I am going to be a better me. This year I am going to talk less and act more. This year I am going to be more confident in my place as a wife, mother, and friend. This year I am not going to get caught up on the little insignificant things and focus more on the great and wonderful things in my life. This year I am going to love more honestly and more completely. This year I am going to spend more time doing things that I love and stop wasting time doing things that are not important. This year I am going to step outside of my comfort zone and experience some major growth. This year I am going to take risks.

This is the year. I can feel it.


Here are your prompts for today:

012: Write about your hopes for the New Year. What are you looking forward to? What are you dreading? What is your feeling as we roll into a new decade?

013: Reflect on the past decade. What things are you most proud of? What do you wish happened differently? If you saw yourself now, ten years ago, would you be surprised of what you saw? Write a letter to your 2000 self, giving advice about how to handle everything that will happen (has happened) in the coming decade.

014: Where do you see yourself ten years from now? What do you hope is different? What do you hope is the same? What do you want to accomplish and/or learn before 2020?

Go ahead -
Write away!

No comments: