Wednesday, December 9, 2009

So...Write Away

"If you wake up in the morning, and you can't think anything but singing, then you should be a singer, girl."
(Somebody please tell me what that's from)
I used to wake up in the morning and think about lacrosse. I would actually go to bed thinking about it, dream all night about it, and then wake up in the morning and think about it all day. I still dream about it sometimes, I still think about it a lot, and all the feelings always come back when I do. I think back on lacrosse as I do a first love - the excitement of young love; the adrenaline and thrill; the irresistible attraction. But my passions and my dreams changed as I grew older. Moving on was a necessary and important choice that I made. It was the right choice.
 
Sometimes I let myself see the tragedy of letting go of my one true dream and passion of playing lacrosse. I had huge dreams with the game by my side and truly never thought I would be complete, or survive, without it. But like all great love stories, I eventually had to choose between two loves - lacrosse and my family. Not because either one required me to choose, but because I am a girl who gives myself completely to my love and passion. I couldn't split myself between the two anymore. I wanted to give myself compeltely to my family.
 
Realizing that lacrosse didn't fit in my life anymore was difficult. I think I was in denial for a few years, holding on to any little bit of it that I could. I even had a counselor (I still don't call her what she really is - a therapist) tell me a couple years ago, when I was going through post-partum depression, that I was actually mourning the loss of lacrosse in my life. My reaction was, "Seriously? Seriously?!" It was in that moment that I realized how much it was affecting me, how much it was affecting my family, and that I could finnaly let it go.
 
But this is all only background information. This story has a happy ending. I promise.
Writing has become a new passion of mine, one that fits better with my dreams for my life and my family. I feel similarly to that first day I walked into the gym for lacrosse tryouts. I don't know very much and I am very inexperienced. All I know is that I love it and I can't get enough of it. I wake up and think about writing. I go to sleep thinking about writing. I try to fit writing into my day whenever, wherever, and however I can. My inner Whoopi is saying "You're a writer girl!" I have big dreams about becoming a better writer and about accomplishing goals and projects. My main obstacle most days is finding something inspiring to write about.
Which leads me to my next project.
Project: "Write Away!"
I will be giving myself, and anyone else who would like to join me, writing prompts to get myself going, and hopefully spark some inspiration. If any of you (very few who actually read this blog) feel like participating, go for it! And let anyone else know who you think would like to participate as well.
Feel free to share your writing or any excerpts in the comment section of the prompt posts. Or, if you blog about the prompts and want to share, please share a link in the comments as well.
I'm so excited! Here we go...

(someone remind me why I thought it was a good idea to cut my hair...)

4 comments:

Mk said...

Sister Act (part deux) ;) ...what do i win???

just kidding-

i love that you are loving writing- it is both extremely satisfying and insatiable at the same time...(does that even make sense???)
you've definitely got a little Bonita Hopkin in ya.

Can wait to read what you do...:)

Mk said...

ps Tell your "inner Whoopi" i said what's up

Marianne Hopkin said...

I loved it!

Ginger Churchill said...

Okay, "Inner Whoopi" is my new favorite phrase. Count me in. I'll be waiting for writing prompts.