Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Write Away: First Love

001: Write about your first love. How did you meet? How did you break up? What first sparked your interest? Where is that love now?

002: Write a scene in where two lovers, real or fictional, meet for the first time. Do they fall in love at first sight? Do they hate each other at first? Is the scene romantic, comical, ironic, tragic?

003: Do you believe in love at first sight?

Here's my attempt:


NHS Lacrosse 2001


write away 001:
I fell in love when I was fourteen years old. A bit early for a first love, but regardless, I fell in love. I fell hard.

It was love at first sight when I put my first lacrosse stick in my hand. I didn't even know what to do with it. I just loved it. I loved how the leather shooting strings smelled. I loved how the cold titanium felt in my hands. I was like Harry Potter picking up his wand for the first time - golden rays of light, wind in my hair, music playing, the whole bit. It was just like that. Kind of.

I think I knew right away that lacrosse was going to change me.

I didn't know one thing about lacrosse when I showed up at tryouts. I didn't know what the field looked like. I didn't know how many players were on the field at one time. I didn't know one rule of the game. I assumed the point of the game was to score goals, but I wasn't even sure about that. I barely knew how to hold the stick. Basic terms like "shooting space," "crease," "cover point," and "draw," sounded like Greek to me. For one second, actually one split second, I thought I was crazy for being there. Then I snapped out of it, and thank goodness for that.

Lacrosse became my passion. I couldn't get enough. I was the girl who came early and stayed late to practice. I was the girl that rode her bike over to the middle school to play wall ball at night, even in the snow. I was the girl who brought my stick with me to sleepovers. Not because I wanted to impress anyone, and not because I wanted to be the best, but because I truly could not get enough. I was a bit obsessed and I didn't care what anyone thought about it. I would do anything to have lacrosse in my life.

That's what happens when you fall in love. You can't get enough.

Soon lacrosse became a part of me. I was a lacrosse player. I didn't make any sense without lacrosse. The field was the only place that I felt complete. I felt confident. I felt strong. Nothing else in the world mattered except what I did on that field. I could escape in the game. In my world on the field I felt in control. I felt trusted. I felt needed. I felt looked up to. I felt like I was made to play lacrosse and nothing felt better than to play. It felt as natural and wonderful as taking a deep breath.



***********************************


That's all I have in me right now.
The kiddos are needing me.
Hope one or all of these prompts inspire you.
Go ahead.
Write away!

On a side note, does anyone know why I can't copy & paste things in blogger?

5 comments:

The Bobos said...

Hmm, as I recall, I thought your first love was Gavin Rossdale. ;)

Love your blog, Meg! I read it every day. Love, Jenni (Girts) Bobo

P.S. You can copy and paste on the "Edit Html" part of the post.

Meg said...

oh that's so funny - you are right! i should write about that too.

Ginger Churchill said...

Okay, I'm probably going to embarrass you to death by commenting but HEY--this was well done. You'll have to write about how you broke up sometime because I've never seen you with a lacrosse stick.

Oh look at that...it's down below. I'll comment down there, too.

Meg said...

i guess we did kind of break up. oh, that's so sad to admit. i still love lacrosse and love any chance to play - it has just been hard for me to figure it out, with all these babies and such...

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

I love it! Wish I still had that in me... it's somewhere in there, I do still love it, just don't get to play near enough :(