Monday, October 12, 2009

So...great advice on marriage

When Husband and I were on our cruise last month (I know, I know...someday I'll get to writing about that) we received some of the best advice I've ever been given on marriage.

We sat next to an older man one night to watch the "main show" of the evening. He was cruising with an old friend. Both he and the woman he was with had lost their significant others and were keeping each other company and keeping each other happy. They were a very sweet pair.

After some time of chit-chatting and small-talking, this man said:
the one thing you have to remember about marriage, is that it's not 50-50. It's 70-30. And you take turns who's the 70 and who's the 30.

You know when you hear something and it just feels true?
Like it's something you've always known but never heard in such a true way?
That's what this advice was to me.

He was a very wise man and I'm taking his advice straight to heart.

No comments: