Tuesday, April 24, 2012

So...A Morning

My baby slept through the night last night.  A full twelve hours.  Holy moly, it was wonderful.  What a gift!  His long stretches of uninterupted sleep are increasing little by little. 

I don't know if I'm just a little better at this infant stage the fourth time around, or if he is just an amazing sleeper - probably a little of both - but this is by far the earliest that we have gotten a sleeping schedule down with a baby.  It's the best.  A good night's sleep makes everything better.  And right now things feel pretty great.


We no longer wake up in the dark to get ready for school.  The sun has been shining a lot lately and the warmth makes me itch for summer.  It's tough to comfort my first grader who doesn't want to go to school because honestly, I don't want her to go either.  I'm so excited to have her home for summer break.

We had Costco muffins, strawberry banana smoothies, and oatmeal for breakfast.  I don't know what it is about Costco muffins that makes me feel like a mom.  We ate while we took turns reading verses of scripture and spending our short morning together before Husband left for work.  First Daughter was thrilled to find out the dishwasher was never started last night, so she didn't have to unload before the bus came.  Little things that bring so much happiness to our days.   

We used the extra time to talk about her life at school - her friends, class, and her upcoming field trip - all things that concern her.  I am so amazed by this little person that lives in our house.  She is beginning to have real life experiences, with friends, mistakes, triumphs, little heartaches and all.  I know she is creating memories she will have for the rest of her life.

I leave conversations like the one I had with First Daughter this morning hoping that somehow we connected.  I hope that she feels a little closer to her mother, and little more comfortable sharing the matters of her heart with me.  I look at her and my heart aches with joy and worry as I think of all the life experience she has a head of her. 


I want more than anything to be a strength for my children.  I want them to feel safe when we talk and secure in my arms.  I know these little moments that we spend together now, chatting about school or putting together a puzzle, are laying a foundation of open communication. 

I am trying, and I hope that it's working. 

No comments: