Friday, August 20, 2010

So...more wisdom that I note to self

I was glad to finally get our Ensign subscription back up and running this month. Boy, did I miss it more than I realized. I loved so many of the articles from this month's issue. Here is an excerpt that I especially loved from "All Things in Wisdom and Order" by Elder John C. Taggart:

As a young man growing up in Idaho trying to find my place in the world, I arrived at the following temporary conclusion: I was a better French horn player than Wilt Chamberlain, the best player in the National Basketball Association, and I played basketball better than Dennis Brain, then the world's premier French horn player. I felt I was unique and, by implication, uniquely good.

This bit of vanity seems harmless, but it hints at a trap into which many of us fall - judging our individual worth by comparing ourselves to others. This view of self-worth results in one of two serious mistakes: either we imagine ourselves better than we are because we think we excel where others fail; or we are too hard on ourselves, thinking we do not measure up to others. Faced with these misperceptions, we may settle into a false sense of self-satisfaction, strain to match the accomplishments of those we believe are ahead of us, or give up altogether. Our vision is clouded when we forget we are not in competition. As children of our Father in Heaven, we are already unique and valuable, beyond anything we can achieve in this world.

Read the full article here.

No comments: