Thursday, January 15, 2009

So...yum!

I hope that my friend Hannah doesn't mind me sharing this delicious recipe with you...

She made and served this soup at our ward's Super Saturday Enrichment Activity (HUGE craft day) last October and it was so yummy! She was nice enough to share it in RS with anyone that wanted it. At church this past Sunday I found the recipe at the bottom of my church bag - yay! I've been craving it ever since and today I finally made it. It really is amazing. And I'm not even a tomato person! It's so creamy, flavorful, and yummy - perfect for these cold snowy days/nights. Watch out though, cause the recipe makes a TON. I'm going to see how well it freezes - I'll let you know.


Tomato Basil Soup

5 cups water

50 oz. marinara/spaghetti sauce

5 cups half 'n' half

5 cups heavy whipping cream

15 oz. can pumpkin pie filling (without spices)

6 chicken bouillon cubes

A few shakes of garlic powder

A few shakes of paprika

(optional) few cups of cooked orzo pasta


I didn't realize there was so much half 'n' half and whipping cream when I was shopping for ingredients, so I ended up substituting about half of both with milk. It worked fine and probably helped with the calories (like I'm worried about that now...).

We are having this for dinner tonight with warm, wheat Rhodes rolls....mmmm.....

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I am so glad you like it! When I make it, I use fat free half'n'half instead of the cream and substitute skim milk for the half'n'half. Same great taste...just a little less creamy.

Ginger Churchill said...

Oh my gosh. Cutest blog. I just noticed you linked to me (I'm all blushing). YAY! Now I can link to you. LOVE the header.

MommyMert said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm................. Will try it.

Those rolls... hmm... were those left overs from your deliveries? hehe :)

Meg said...

actually yes! kind of. they were the ones that defrosted and squished so we couldn't give them away. i traded with some that i had and reshaped the squished ones. good as new!