Wednesday, January 14, 2009

So...playrooms

Can I say how much I LOVE having a playroom?
It really does make life with young kids wonderful.

Last spring we decided to turn our "extra" bedroom/office/storage room into a playroom only. We put a futon in there, a storage unit w/ buckets for toys, a dresser (more storage), and a little TV/DVD combo. We put all of our toys in that room and all of our kids DVDs and that's where they stay. No toys in other rooms of the house. And it is awesome! I love that the girls have a space to play that is their own. I love that I don't have to constantly be picking up toys throughout the day - I can just close the door to the playroom and not worry about it until I have time to worry about it. I love that I don't find the girls sneaking out of their bed to play with toys when they should be sleeping! I love that the girls know exactly where to find their toys!

Now, in order for the playroom to exist the girls share a bedroom. And when the next girl comes she will eventually be in the girls room as well. We shall see how that goes, but I will make sure that we do whatever we can to keep the playroom! I think it's worth it for all three to share a bedroom. We will have a sleeping room and a playroom! And I think sharing a room is good for their sweet relationships. It's so fun to listen to them talk to each other at night before falling asleep. :)

I really am a big fan of playrooms if you can't tell. As a matter of fact, the girls are in there right now, playing away, so I can get things done (well, if I wasn't blogging I probably would be getting things done...)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

We had three little boys in one little room. Eric and Ryan slept in the cutest little toddler beds and Evan had the crib.

Becca said...

I love playrooms too! They are the best! I'm not sure how I'd make it without one.

Sandy said...

For many years when I was young I shared a room with three other siblings. We had two sets of bunkbeds and four girls in a small bedroom, toys and all. I can remember wanting to clean my room when it was time to go to bed. I slept on the bottom bunk and when I was board which was most of my adolescent life, I would push on the mattress of the upper bunk and rattle the sleeper up and down. Luckily we never had to share a bed.
My cousins had a small room with four boys. They had two hide-a-bed couches and they would open them out at night and fold them up in the morning. I bet they wonder how they ever did that now.

Anonymous said...

I think kids sharing rooms is therapeutic....and that's a good thing since we don't have any choice right now. :) Best day in the world was the day we put our youngest boys together (though I will admit to some MAJOR skepticism on that particular day....)

I would LOVE to have a playroom. To be able to just close the door? Heaven!! So glad you get the chance to have that. You deserve it. :)