Tuesday, December 29, 2009

So...homemade soup

Has been the Season of Soup Making in this house.
I have made pot after pot of the good stuff.

Every Christmas we get a Honeybaked Ham from Husband work, and so every year after Christmas dinner I make ham + bean soup. This year, I had the Christmas ham, a Thanksgiving turkey, plus another ham bone + turkey bone from a neighbor. Is that strange to ask my neighbor for their turkey bone? I don't really care. I did it anyway.

This is what my stovetop looked like for about a week. Notice the 2 liter of Diet DP - a must have in my cooking frenzie.

The greatest thing about homemade soup is that is freezes really well. Just ration it out into Ziploc gallon freezer bags, label, and you're good to go. I am all about planning ahead in the cooking department and stocking my freezer with yummy, ready-to-go meals that just need to be cooked or reheated. Saves a lot of time and a lot of money on those days when I just don't feel like cooking. Plus, it's nice to have something ready in the freezer to give to a friend or neighbor that may be in need of some homecookin'.

I ended the week of soup making with 4 bags of turkey noodle soup, 2 1/2 bags of turkey + rice soup, 3 bags of ham + bean soup, and I still have more ingredients in the freezer to make more! It is a wonderful thing.
If you've never made homemade soup before, I highly suggest that you try it.
It is a great way to make your ingredients go farther in a meal and to turn leftovers into another meal.
And it's a great way to be a little creative in the kitchen.
Go ahead - don't be shy.

Tips to get you started:
- fill pot about halfway with water and boil ham/turkey/chicken bone (on low) for a long time
- the longer the better
- use a strainer to make sure you get all the bones out
- add whatever ingredients you like or whatever sounds good to you
- I usually stick to onion, carrots, and celery
- you could also use a recipe
- remember that both rice and beans soak up water - a little goes a long way
- don't be scared to add more water
- if you're not ready to make soup right away, you can freeze the bone until you are ready.

Have fun feeling domestic as you experiment with homemade soups!

3 comments:

Julie J. said...

Could somebody throw me a friggin' bone here?

Meg said...

HAHAHA

Mk said...

you're too funny...
"you could also use a recipe" :)

kudos for your courage in the kitchen! Soup sounds really good right now