Sunday, January 11, 2009

"By Small and Simple Things Are Great Things Brought to Pass"

by David Koch
Young Lucy Mack Smith reads the Bible to her sons Joseph and Hyrum in the log home near the Sacred Grove, in Palmyra Township, New York. From this humble beginning, Joseph grew to become prophet of the last dispensation, through whom the fulness of the gospel was restored to the earth. On June 27, 1844, these two boys - then grown men - died as marturs and witnesses to the truthfulness of the Restoration.

This picture and caption can be found on the inside back cover on the January 2009 Ensign. The picture was very powerful to me, along with the thought of Lucy Mack reading the scriptures to her small boys without knowing what she was preparing her sons for.

Our Relief Society lesson today was about leadership and "Leading in the way of the Lord." It was full of wonderful stories and examples from the prophet Joseph Smith on leadership. When applying this lesson to my life, I realized that the most important leadership role that I will have in my life is as a mother. I can still use the same example and characteristics of leadership from Joseph Smith in my role as a mother - humility, love, service, teaching truth. A great, and very popular quote that was included in this lesson is:

"I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves."
-Joseph Smith

I hope that I can remember that as a mother. With young children it is easy to set many rules and constantly be telling my kids what to do or not to do. I need to remember the ultimate goal is to teach them how to make correct choices. The only way they will do that is if they learn correct principles and why to make correct choices.

Back to the above picture, teaching from the scriptures is a vital part in teaching children correct principles. Not only was Lucy Mack teaching her children the importance of reading & studying the scriptures, but she was sharing the correct principles found in the scriptures with her children. And it was a principle in the scriptures - "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God..." - that led Joseph into the Sacred Grove to pray. Her quiet, humble leadership prepared this young boy to eventually lead in restoring the gospel of Jesus Christ to Earth. What an amazing example she is to me, of leadership in our homes and in the gospel.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful to read, especially since I spent RS in Nursery....(as usual, lol)

Thank you for sharing, and for your insights. I love your perspective. :)

Marianne Hopkin said...

If you get a chance to see the vidoe about President Hinkley that you sent me for Christmas, watch it! He also was read to by his mother, from the scriptures and from other classic books. Spending that time with his mother and what he learned from what she read really molded his life and left huge impressions on him. Every minute that you spend with your children will do the same. It is an investment that gives the greatest rewards. No bank or government can ever diminish it.