Friday, September 24, 2010

So...a break from your regularly scheduled program

I was cleaning out the dress up box today - trying to get out all the mixed in toys, broken pieces, items to D.I., and things that just don't belong - and as I was piling up the dresses, hats, necklaces, shoes, masks, etc. I started thinking about Halloween.

First Daughter wants to be Barbie Mariposa.
Second Daughter wants to be a ballerina (or a butterfly).

I was picturing them in the cute little Halloween costumes, dressed up exactly as they want to be. I see their excitement, the fun, the anticipation, the new additions to our dressup box (which has always been my justification for creating/buying new costumes).

Then I looked at the pile of dress ups.

I pictured them rummaging through our stash, little gears moving in their brains, creating a fun and original Halloween costumes that they can be proud of. "I made up my costume!" I picture them beaming with pride as they announce what they are at each stop on their Halloween-route.

I have already purchased the missing pieces to the costumes they have requested.
Wings + butterfly shirt to add to First Daughter's pink skirt + ballet flats.
Leotard + new tights + tutu for Second Daughter to wear with her ballet flats + beautifully long hair, tied up in a tight bun.
These are all things that I know will get a lot of use.
The total cost was about $20.

But then there still is that pile of dress ups.
I am seriously contemplating returning everything to the store.
But then I think of that perfectly cute little ballerina...

How do you plan for Halloween? Do you buy costumes? Make costumes? Create costumes from what you have?

I don't ever remember buying costumes at the store when I was a kid. But I also don't remember having a dress up box. Where my costumes came from? I have no idea.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

My mom never purchased costumes for us. I remember one that she sewed our costumes, but most of the time we did it ourselves. When I was 6, I was a cheerleading-vampire cat. It is a hilarious costume, but I looked thrilled about it in the pictures.

Your daughters are so creative. I am sure they would love making their own!

Becca said...

I found some costumes for the boys at the thrift store this year for supper cheap. I'm thinking the girls will be a ladybug or butterfly. We have some wings and some tutus that they can wear. I don't like having to buy stuff each year.

But $20 to complete the kids costumes isn't that bad.

MommyMert said...

I am totally a I want my kid to be what they want to be, perfect picture of them so happy... dunno... Love it. I am soooo excited to see that M as a Ballerina... Ooodles of anticipation. Seriously.