Friday, May 21, 2010

So...a little jiggle never hurt anyone...unless you're watching :)

Went to the gym today for my cross-training day of my weekly workouts. Usually I just hop on a bike at a comfortable speed and read a book while I pedal for about an hour. It's my easiest workout of the week - by far - and I look forward to the relaxing, quiet, weekly reading time I have designated for myself. Today I changed it up a bit. I'm anxious to reach my fitness goal sooner than 9 weeks from now. I figured I had to pick it up a bit in order to do so.

Oh my goodness.

I did some things today that I haven't done in a long time. I actually can't remember the last time I did them.

I started my workout on the bike (like usual). I just started The Lost Symbol and wanted to get a few chapters under my belt. I spent 30 minutes on the bike. Then I headed down to the gymnasium. The gym I go to has a basketball/volleyball court that is open to anyone. It's usually pretty empty when I'm at the gym. Sometimes there are a couple guys shooting hoops, but usually it's empty. Sometimes I go in there to play wallball. Today I actually planned a 30 minute workout for myself, similar to things I would have done at lacrosse practice in high school (or would have made my girls do when I was coaching). It included jogging, defensive slides, grapevines, pushups, firefeet, a few different wallball drills, and....

(dun dun dun....)

Sprints.
Yes, that's right.
I did sprints today.
For the first time in who-knows-when.

I have to admit, I was a little bit scared. Ok, I was a lot scared. I saved the sprints for the end, knowing that I would probably not want to do anything after. I stood at that endline, staring at all the lines infront of me that I would need to sprint to, lean down and touch, one by one for each rung of the ladders I was about to run. Oh goodness. I stood there for a long time. Just staring. I thought of all of the reasons I didn't need to run those sprints. It didn't matter if I did them or not. Nobody would know if I did or didn't. I didn't have to do them. I wasn't even sure I wanted to. But the longer I stood there engaging in this personal debate, the more I felt I did have to do them. Just because.

And I did.

And you know what? They weren't that bad.

I'm definitely not as fast as I used to be, and there definitely is a lot more jiggling going on when I try to push my speed, but I can still do them. My body still works.

Speaking of jiggling.
You know a great way to tell how much extra fat you have on your body? Try doing firefeet. You know, that basketball drill when you get into a defensive stance and move your feet up and down as fast as you can - like they're on fire? Ya. Try it. I seriously don't think I've felt more jiggling on my body in my entire life. It was crazy. Like shake-the-whole-room-and-sounds-like-thunder kind of crazy.

My unofficial workout motto has always been:
The more it jiggles, the more you're working it off.

I have decided there is a need for a lot more firefeet, and the jiggling that comes along with it, in my working out future.

6 comments:

Becca said...

I love reading this blog. You really are good at writing. Good job on pushing yourself today!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Good work! I am so much slower than I used to be, but it does still feel good to push yourself like that :) Thanks for the motivation!

Kathy said...

Good for you! Jiggle away - you know - keep jiggling and the jiggle will go away... ;-)

scooping it up said...

I don't want to do fire feet. That makes me sad. I don't want to jiggle!

Mk said...

Ummmmm excuse me but i just saw you Megan and YOU HAVE NO JIGGLE!!!!!!!!!!! you are so tiny!!!! i'm not sure you have ANYTHING left to work off- if you do you hide it really well.

maybe try to get this through your head...You are one hot mama;) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Terri said...

Ummm Unfortunately It jiggles even when I dont do firefeet. You go girl