Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So...what can I do when my body just says no?

So...I went to the gym today.
What can I say? I'm trying.

After an extra long weekend trip to visit some of our favorite friends where we ate way more food than one should consume in any given weekend, I was feeling a bit like I needed to exercise. It was the least I could do for my body. I think I packed on about 10 pounds this
weekend.

So after dropping First Daughter off at preschool and Second Daughter off at playgroup, Third Daughter and I headed off to the gym. As we walked in, Third Daughter got very excited. She even flapped her arms. I guess that means she likes the Kids Club. I am so glad.

I started on my "usual" routine when I do weight training. I was going to do a circuit, so I picked my machines and got to it. A trainer recently told me that I should be working out at around a 7 (1 being the easiest thing I've ever done, and 10 being so hard I can't do it for another second). She said I should be shooting for heavier weight and lower reps. So that's what I did. Or at least that's what I tried.

I felt like I was pushing myself pretty hard. I was even breaking a sweat before I got to my cardio part of the circuit. That's a big deal for me. But about halfway through my third set of the circuit, I started feeling a little nauseous. You know, that cold sweating, I either need to go to the bathroom or throw up kind of feeling. It was yucky. I lied on the ground with my feet of a ball until I felt a little better. That's one thing at the gym that I know how to do right - lie on the ground.

I hung out there until my workout was over. I thought about the rest of my workout. I figured that counted. I heard once that if you visualize your body working out your body actually gets stronger. No idea where I heard that or if it's even true, but I'm quoting it anyway. Does 15 minutes of lying on the ground count as a workout? I think so. I'll take it.

I'm hoping that tomorrow goes a little better.
My body seems to be revolting against my efforts to lose weight and get back into shape.
I figure getting myself to the gym is half the battle.
And being at the gym while visualizing myself working out has got to be better than doing it at home. I think being around those skinny, in shape people has got to rub off on me one of these days.
It's just science.
Or math.
Or something.

Here's to hoping.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

I love your way of thinking!

Becca said...

Good job for going. Keep it up, I'm sure it will get easier. I wish I was motivated to exercise!