Friday, February 19, 2010

So...props to Stephenie Meyer

Everybody knows who Stephenie Meyer is.
She wrote those Twilight books.
Ever heard of them?

The thing about Stephenie Meyer is, I have never heard someone say that he/she loves Stephenie Meyer. I have heard plenty of people rave about the Twilight Saga. In fact, I know quite a few that are obsessed. But I have never heard anyone rave about Stephenie Meyer, the author.

I have, however, heard on multiple occasions, of people hating her as an author. A few have even mentioned they couldn't finish Twilight because the writing was so awful.

Ok. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Honestly, I don't feel like I'm in any position to judge how good or bad a writer is.
All I can say comfortably is whether I liked what they wrote or not.

So, regardless of how great of a writer Stephenie Meyer is, there's no denying the fact that the woman clearly has something going for her. She has sold probably millions of books, that have turned into two (soon-to-be three) box-office hit movies, probably made gazillions of dollars, and everyone in the world is on Team Edward or Team Jacob. She must have done something right.

The truth is, I feel for the girl. She took a huge risk. She was just a normal girl, stay-at-home mom, never written anything before, and she had an idea. She took a chance. The girl is brave. She had a dream (literally) and then worked hard to make it happen. I remember hearing her say once (I think on the Ellen Show) how she would sit with her son and her laptop on her lap and just write away. It eventually turned into Twilight and it has changed her life forever.

I give the woman major props.

I can't imagine that it would be easy, no matter how successful her books have been, to hear that people think she's a bad writer.

Honestly, that is the hardest thing for me to get over.
Worrying about what people think about my writing.
I know it's silly, but it's true.
It was a big step for me to even say "I want to write."
It seems like that opens a big fat door to be judged "as a writer" and compared to other writers.
I know I'm not the best writer.
Believe me. I know.

I don't really even know anything about writing.
I just do it.
Usually I don't even take time to think about what I'm going to write.
I just write and wait to see what comes out.
You probably can tell.

But I am a normal girl who has a little dream about writing something great.
I don't even care if anyone reads it.
In fact, it scares me a little to think of someone reading.
I worry about the feedback.

So, way to go Stephenie Meyer.
I think you're great.
You are one brave mama.
You had a dream and you took a risk.
You inspire me to take a risk on my own ideas and dreams.
You inspire me to work hard to make it happen.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I so agree with you! Stephenie Meyer has taken a huge risk by putting her books out there. I wish I could write like her. I don't understand why people say she is a terrible author. I thought she did an excellent job. She also inspires me when it comes to living my dream. If she can do it can't all stay-at-home moms do it?!