Thursday, January 14, 2010

So...homemade meat sauce

I make a few things very well.
One of them is my own homemade spaghetti sauce.
It is so yummy and a favorite in this household.

True to my character as a cook, I rarely follow recipes to a T and a rarely use exact measurements. This sauce is a little different every time I make it. That is what makes it so good. This is what I put in it:

Homemade Meat Sauce:
(enough for our little family)
3 small cans of tomato sauce
1/2 lb ground beef
1-2 cloves garlic (or garlic salt)
dried onion, or onion salt
Italian seasoning
parsley
salt + pepper
beef boullion *this is the key ingredient*

If I'm feeling ambitious, I double or triple this recipe and store the extra in Ziplocs labelled and ready in the freezer for future meals.

**Note**
When I buy ground beef, I usually cook it all, separate it into 1/2 lb portions in Ziplocs, and store in the freezer. This saves so much time preparing dinner.

2 comments:

Julie J. said...

I just wrote a post that will publish tomorrow morning and in it I declare that we eat spaghetti too much and it makes me want to scream. I think I should try your recipe and see if I feel differently. I love the tip at the bottom, about cooking the meat and freezing it. I think I'll try it.

Mk said...

We're on our way over for dinner...