Saturday, November 21, 2009

So...I don't handle rejection very well

**disclaimer: if nursing babies makes you uncomfortable, do not read.**

My plan has always been to nurse my children for 1 year.

First and Second Daughters stopped nursing around 8 months.
That was when I stopped being able to make enough milk for them.
That was when they preferred the bottle.
It happened naturally and we just went with it.

Third Daughter is 8 1/2 months old.
So far, things have looked like she would continue nursing untl 1 year.
Third Daughter has 5 1/2 teeth.
First and Second Daughters didn't get teeth until they were 10 months old.
I never had to worry about nursing toothed (is that a word?) babies.

The other day Third Daughter bit me.
It hurt.
A lot.
I gasped when it happened and pulled away.
Third Daughter started crying a very sad cry.
I touched her lips with my finger and said, "No, no! Don't bite Mommy."
She cried some more.
She finished nursing with one eye staring at me the rest of the time.

The next time she nursed, I reminder her not to bite.
When I put my finger on her lips and said, "No biting," the tears starting flowing again.
She remembered me scolding her last time.
She decided she didn't want to nurse.

Now, every time I go to feed her, she starts crying and arches her back.
She doesn't even try.
I guess we are officially done.
It makes me a little sad.

3 comments:

Lexi said...

Oh- sad! I remember when Jordis would bite and do the same thing(cry when I scolded). She did the back-arch thing for a couple weeks and then went back to normal. It got really hard but once we got past those few weeks, it got easy again. It is really hard not to take it personally when they don't want to nurse. Good luck!

MommyMert said...

Oh... sad... Sorry she did that though. It does hurt. OUCH! It is a bitter sweet when they stop nursing...

Meg said...

Maybe I do still have some hope. We'll keep trying and see how it goes.