Sunday, December 21, 2008

So...buttons

The never failing remedy for awkardly long moments of silence beginning with "so..."

I cannot remember where I first heard this phrase, but I thought it was hilarious and immediately adopted it as my token phrase. When I was younger, whenever anybody would say "so..." in conversation I would respond with "BUTTONS!" For some reason I thought this was the most clever comeback to an awkward conversation - now I can't seem to remember why it was so funny. I guess it was something unexpected, that didn't make much sense, that would hopefully pull a smile or chuckle out to break the silence. It must have worked because I used it quite often when I was in high school.

Somewhere along the road I stopped using it and forgot about it until an old friend of mine said it recently to me when we ran out of things to talk about and catch up on. I was glad he did because now the phrase makes me smile and chuckle thinking about that time in my life, friends that I had, and many wonderful memories. It also made me think of other phrases or inside jokes that served me well at other times in my life and all the memories and friends that I associate with those words. Phrases like "That's my boat..." or "You would!" or "I DRIVE I DODGE STRATUS!" or "Good better best...." If I wanted, I could probably categorize my life based on phrases and song titles. That would actually be pretty fun to do sometime. Hmm....

So this blog has been dedicated to my "buttons" - what to say when there's nothing else to say. This blog will be full of my random thoughts, hopes, dream, worries, and anything else that comes to my mind and hopefully things that can spark discussion with the people who might actually care about any of this. My buttons!

No comments: